Web gadgets are utility programs that are used for various application needs. These are smaller chunk of software programs that can be embedded and executed within a web page by the end user. It is also called as a web widget. Other terms used to describe web widgets include gadget, badge, module, webjit, capsule, snippet, mini and flake. It is a stand alone application that can be used in a website or blog where it provides dynamic applications for different purposes. It gives the latest information, calculations, and measurements on parameters such as the current date and time etc. The two of the major types of widget today are web widgets and desktop widgets. Web widgets are intended to use on web pages and have major impact in areas such as web page performance, SEO, etc. Desktop widgets however are embedded on local computers and do not impact SEO or webpage performance.
The advantages of web widgets are:
1. Widgets are embedded in the website and so it does not needed to be downloaded and installed into the computer for its use.
2. It provides latest and dynamic contents for the user, which makes it valuable when it comes to clocks, calendar, whether, news etc.
3. It is easy and lightweight in its use, and provides accurate information.
4. There are a variety of widgets available for a wide range of applications that one can ever imagine.
5. It can be accessed via web anywhere you are whether it is at home, office, or while on a journey.
6. The host has the freedom to place the widget according to his personal preference.
7. Widgets are useful in blogs and websites for appeasing its readers and for the overall impact of the site.
The disadvantages of web widgets:
1. There is limitation in the input parameters and more complex calculations are not possible in a widget.
2. The host does not have the control on the content of the widget. The content or the functionality it provides can not be modified by the host.
3. Web widgets are dependent on the web for updating itself when it is dynamic, like news, weather etc.